Search This Blog

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Building Community and Discussions with Stanley, Our Class Pet



Hello my friends,  I've introduced you to our class pets in this post.  However, I'd like to go a little deeper.  Since we've started school, I will invite you to take a look at how Stanley helps create such a positive atmosphere in our room.  He's an ordinary stuffed puppy.   He does absolutely nothing except look cute!  He is mess free....trouble free...bark free...and you know what else free...

I do not have any extraordinary skills in ventriloquism, but they adore my dear Stanley.  I use my "Stanley" voice, and that's about all the tricks I have to do.  The rest is left to the brilliant imaginations of a five year old. 

Here's an example of one of the things I do with Stanley.  In the Responsive Classroom, we teachers write a positive letter to our students every day letting them know what we are doing that day.  It's funny, but I was doing that with kindergarteners long before I knew what Responsive Classroom was...but I imagine that it's because it's a great practice and the kids enjoy it.  Each day I greet my students, announce the day, what we are doing and end it with a positive phrase like "You are awesome," for them to repeat to the group around them.  It then becomes our phrase of the day (but certainly not limited to the only positive phrase of the day.)   Then, I sign the letter, love, Mrs. Wallace and Stanley, and leave Stanley's paw print. 


Another thing we do is "Praises and Prides."  Our friends form an orange (which means form a  circle to see everyone's eyes, instead of grapes or rows to listen to a book.)  We each take turns & go around the circle holding Stanley.  The only one allowed to speak is the person holding Stanley.  Honestly, you would think six year olds would get tired, but somehow Stanley brings the magic of stamina to our room.  I love, love, love the respect this element brings to our classroom.  I look forward to it.  Each person has to think of one thing to compliment another student in our room and say one thing they've done well in our room.

Students don't automatically know how to compliment each other.  Usually I start this ritual with "praises" for each other.  This usually starts with physical attributes like "I like your dress or your hair," and then I train them through other things we do about noticing and complimenting each other on the inside.   Then we move to "prides," or compliments for ourselves.  This activity often makes our kids uncomfortable because they don't yet know the difference between boasting and being proud of  making a goal or accomplishing a difficult task.  I carefully introduce the difference, and with practice, they figure it out.

As the year goes on and we make our community discoveries, I will include more here.  For now, I hope that something sparks an idea for you.  Please feel free to share what works for your classroom community because I'm always on the look out for new ideas.  For now, CHEERS!  And have a great weekend.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment