Search This Blog

Saturday, September 14, 2013

It's Coming Together!

Last I left off, I was working to get more color into my black and white room and investigated a color wheel to find complementary colors to go with some bulletin boards already in my  room.
Since I created my color palette, I noticed that after taking paper and bordered off my bulletin boards, I had the perfect complimentary color, turquoise! (Seriously, who makes turquoise bulletin boards?) Armed with my focus color and palette, I went to the fabric store and found the perfect material.
Well, long story short, my seeing machine broke. My husband's idea was that we could quickly sew the curtains by hand. Fortunately for me, I have this experience. It's been awhile, but I did it. Actually, we did it! (Yes, my wonderful, talented husband, made them too.)  

Then, we made the cushions for some reading benches that I found on Pinterest. See here.
Our book shelves were way to tall for my firsties to sit on, so I enlisted my sweet dear guy again, and he cut them in half.  We covered some foam in fabric using a glue gun, and  Target had the great canvas teal color I was looking for.   What do you think of my version? 




This weekend I'm tightening up the cloth so it looks more polished, and I think I need some vinyl to protect it!  If you line them up along the window, it's really nice, and it creates room dividers and extra storage space.  Awesome for rooms like mine that are strapped for storage space.

My chalkboard was killing my room with it's dull green color, so I took an idea my colleague, Marybeth had and painted it.  I thought I would need to repaint it with magnetic paint, but I didn't.  It made my room pop!  What I loved the most was that it was such a small change that made an amazing difference.  It's now my word wall because I was able to move the computers out, and my kiddos can interact more with it.  In addition, I will add the cookie sheets at the bottom for word work and word building.  I will let you know how it goes!

I'm sorry that it came out crooked...but it looks great doesn't it?



Next, remember when I read in Spaces and Places how to reduce wasted space?  I wish I had taken a picture of how they were.  There were two really nice, but large rectangle tables taking up most of my back wall to hold the computers.  My teaching partner Tammy, found a brilliant way to put them on a small round table and now I have more space for kids and less place for stuff.  I'm so happy! 




And lastly, I have this famous bulletin board that I was telling you I had covered up with black paper last year and almost missed out on some great color....who gets this great color unintentionally?  I know many in our building who are fond of it...but again, it's those great curtains my husband made that pulled all the colors together.



That's a peek into my room.  I'm sorry it took so long to get them up.  It's a much better feeling going into this new year with less clutter and more color and even more room for the kids!  You know something interesting?  The first week one of my kids said it took me awhile to find where your desk is, but here it is, the same size as ours...he said last year that his teacher had too much space in the room. For a kindergartener to be aware means that space matters to these kiddos too! 

Happy New school year to you.  Enjoy every moment!






 

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment