Search This Blog

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Being More Authentic in DOL

I love when an authentic way of doing something falls into place. Our school uses Metra for phonics in addition to Houghton Mifflin phonics. Recently, we started working with statements using the word"said."  The chart has very inauthentic ways of getting the kids to practice"said" statements. For example, Sam said, "Go fan Nan", or something similar to that...having kids repeat a bunch of phrases that are not as meaningful to them as they could be.
 
Here it's what I devised.  I've been placing statements on sticky notes so the kids can interact with them. The kids love using their names so I use four kids' names a day.
 
 
 
It says, Cyllus said,"Jerrick is a winner!"  And the other says:  Rylee said, "Bryton is fantastic!"
 
This sentence serves several purposes. It uses the kids' names in a positive statement. The kids are lifting up each other. One student arranges the sticky notes in the right order with the correct punctuation, ( which they all seem to get better this way), and the other student gets to use the pointer to have the class read it out loud, giving everyone an authentic way of using their sight words. Later, when we do Daily 5, this can be an option for Word Work.  All the names we've used so far are off to the side so they can insert anyone's name they want.
 
Oh, did I add that it's more fun for them? It's a win for everyone!
 
 
 
The only thing I would change is I would line them up a little more.  We were in the moment.

I much prefer doing these kinds of activities every day...I sometimes use their favorite , poems, and class books too.  If it's authentic, I want to use it.

Please tell me some things you do for early readers. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment