Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

SKYPE revisted for Technology Tuesday

We've been really enjoying the Skype experiences in our room.  Now we have a camera, and we aren't using my small little phone with the small little window anymore.  (Though the kids would still love every minute of the story, even just listening to it.)

This past week, my friend Annie read to us again from London . What I enjoy about this experience is that she was a first grade teacher and knows them as students and puts all her expectations for listening into place.  The kids sit straighter, and she asks them in advance not to play with their pumpkins or visit with their neighbor.  It's so cute!  They listen intently!


Another part that I like is that Annie chooses books that teach about character.  This week she chose a book about manners where a young child writes the Queen of England to ask about proper manners.  It's a funny book to the kids because the Queen writes back telling Kate to do the opposite of what she should do.  The kids laugh and say, "No!,  that's not right!"  We soared!

         http://clubs-kids.scholastic.co.uk/products/77756 - Yay!  It's a Scholastic book!  (However, it's an   
         English location.)

What I would love to encourage you to do is to try guest speakers in this way.  The kids love lots of different adults in their loves, and they especially enjoy guest readers.  Later this week, I am going to have my daughter, who is in the Coast Guard, read a book about her career to the kids.  They find this career choice fascinating, and it allows kids to aspire to be something that is worthwhile.  There will be lots of oohs and ahhs...I know! 

Now I see all other kinds of potential for this great tool.  Other teachers across the world can come right into my classroom.  Why should high school kids have all the fun?  I know that Annie will have the itch to teach soon.  It's in her blood, and when she's ready to teach a lesson, we will be ready.  For now, we will enjoy her beauty and her enthusiasm and marvelous sense of humor....She promised us a book about Knickers...all the kids snickered!

Have a fabulous Technology Tuesday.  Can't wait to hear what you do in your corner of the world.
Would you like to play in our room some day?

take care,




My daughter in Alabama, who is in the Coast Guard can read.

No comments:

Post a Comment