Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

London Calling - Love me some Technology!

I am so very blessed!  Yesterday, my kids got to  enjoy some lovely technology.  My best friend, teaching buddy, Annie, moved to London a month ago.  Knowing how much Annie was probably missing teaching, I set her up to read a book to my kids through SKYPE.  No, it's not new technology, but it sure is great technology for the classroom, so we'll celebrate!

Annie found the perfect book about a Tiger going to tea.  The best part about this book is that the author, Judith Kerr, is a beloved author of the families in England.  In addition, Annie chatted with my kiddos about English customs and colloquialisms - like what "coming to tea" is all about.  She also told them names for some of their favorite things - i.e.  "biscuits"  are what they call cookies, and that "chips" are French Fries and that what we call "chips" are called "crisps."  My kids were mesmerized.


Even though  our visual screen was limited to cell phone size, the kids didn't mind.  It was just so cool that they got to talk to someone all the way from London! 

I look forward to many more adventures with our teacher friend Annie.  Who knows, maybe we will do some long distance learning from a fabulous teacher in England.  Hello, London calling...






3 comments:

  1. We SKYPE with our princesses in California. They read me books and the Mom person reads them bed time stories. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are your princesses who are your princesses?
    I love the idea of different people reading to my kiddos. They were so engaged! (And it didn't matter how small the screen was.) Can't wait to see all the possibilities that come about. Besides, it's awesome to watch Annie in action!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete