Search This Blog

Sunday, August 25, 2013

It's All About Community!

I love starting a new year. It brings fresh starts and fresh eyes and ways of seeing things differently. 
Every year, I work incredibly hard to build community.  I tell the kids they now have two families, one at home and one here at school.  They are surprised at first and a little disbelieving.  But I am convinced that if a child feels happy and safe and loved, they can accomplish great things and will be willing to try most anything!  This sense of family brings unity to our day...it begins our journey of learning empathy and sympathy

This year, I'm working harder than ever to move slower into curriculum.  As always, I've turned to my favorite books like The Responsive Classroom.  I adore this curriculum because it builds community with successful steps.  We write a morning message every day (which I've always done because the kids adore it.)  In this case, I write a morning message with my class pets (more about that here.)  The kids can hardly wait to see Stanley's paw print on a message. These class pets are just as much a part of our community as the kids.  (It's magic.)

In addition, we learn every morning how to greet each other, how to act with each other, how to see the best in everyone.  I don't stop there.  I add elements of Peace Builders and other curriculums which build self esteem and self confidence. 

In these first days, we concentrate on creating rules for the classroom and for outside. 
Before kids are allowed to use playground equipment, they are taught how to play games with each other, making sure kids aren't left out and that they are playing fair and by the rules.  What I love about this set-up is that kids are taught success right away.

Here are a couple of the games for big groups:
octopus              fish gobbler  (this one has several P.E. games)

Next week I will bring out playground equipment and teach them more games involving balls and jump ropes.  It will be such fun!            

I know there is so much more to community building than I can write on this page, so I will continue our discussion further later on down the line.

These first days are so important.  In the end, just like the old mantra, "go slow to go fast."  Spending time to invest in the kids and community now, ensures they will be more responsive when it comes time to do more academic things.  I love my school family.  These steps also allow me to have something to look forward to every day.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment