Search This Blog

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Poetry Fun - Dramatize!


I LOVE poetry.  It teaches so many things.  And because I love it, I think my joy passes on to the kids.  Through the years, I've developed some tips for teachers to help them get the most from their poetry experience.  I hope they're helpful!

Since it's almost Halloween, I shall share one of my favorite poems, "I Eat Kids," by Dennis Lee.  I've decided my main idea is to assist kids in not feeling afraid of terrible things, and that they are strong and tough.  Instead of the whole poem, I only use the monster's and child's dialogue and then I make up motions for it. First the kids show me an angry monster and use monster voices.  On the child's dialogue, they turn themselves around two times and spread their feet apart, with hands firmly placed on hips.  In a scolding voice, they tell that monster off, and punch him with one finger in the shoulder.    If I get brave enough some day, I will video myself and show you some of the actions I've created.  The kids Love it!

Here are some general  tips I use when choosing a poem and acting it out: 

I.  Choosing a Poem
     *  find a poem that speaks to you, that you find appealing
     *  if you don't like it, it won't sell

II.  Visualization
     *  Take yourself on a visual journey of the poem
             Drump the Grump - (poem by Jack Prelutsky, A New Kid on the Block) Imagine yourself
             covered in slimy, gooey garbage - best of all, liking it!
             Spaghetti  Spaghetti -(another Jack Prelutsky) - even if you don't like it, you can pull it off by
             thinking of something you like a lot , and sitting in a pile of it.
     *  Be the object, if it's about an object
           If you're reading a poem about a balloon, imagine your skin stretched so tight that you feel you
           are going to burst; or imagine you are bobbing along the ceiling, it scratching your back or 
           you're just checking it out?
     * When performing, all objects in your mind stayin in the same place.  It's a storytelling
         technique.  If makes things more real if you pick objects up and place them some place.  (the
         same place)

III.  Voice - Explore and change your tone and pace
      *   Play with the language.  Use your voice to change the tone and affix meaning to the poem
      *  tone - high, low, sharp, crisp, draggy - Let the poem dictate this
      * tempo - fast, slow, pauses on words to clarify
                        commas and periods
      * tell jokes - practice with telling jokes first, pausing on punch lines
      * clarity/fluency - are the words you are speaking spoken clearly?  Does it flow?

IV. Your Body
     * move minimally
     * stand tall or straight unless the text dictates differently
     * be careful of non-verbal cues

V.  Main Idea
     * Summarize what you want your point to be so that the message gets across to your audience

You're probably thinking, "What does this have to do with first grade?"  Imagine if you had the love and creative world of a first grader, and you had loved poetry at this age....you'd never have to be frightened of it again, and it would take you places, just as reading does.  And when you feel comfortable with someone else's poetry, then you begin the journey to writing your own.

Happy writing, and happy poeming! 
Cheers, Marie



No comments:

Post a Comment